Cookies and general website traffic
Spotlight uses technology called 'cookies' to record information about your access to the website and to provide increased security. Cookies are small pieces of information that can be stored on your hard drive (persistent cookies) or in temporary memory (session cookies). Cookies do not contain personal information and cannot be used to identify you.
Session cookies are used for:
- more accurately tracking visitor activities
- examining path based data that tracks the sequence of pages through the site.
- maintaining session information to ensure Spotlight records how you answered each question to provide you with the correct result at the next screen.
Spotlight may use both session and persistent cookies to automatically collect general website traffic information, for example:
- your server or IP address (the name or number which uniquely identifies the computer through which you are connected to the internet)
- the address of the referring site (for example, the previous site visited)
- the date and time of a visit
- the top-level domain name (for instance .gov, .org, .uk, .au)
- the address of the pages accessed and the documents downloaded.
This information is compiled into statistics (for example, total page visits, most visited pages, most common entry page) that are used to evaluate the quality of the website's content and services.
Collection and use of information
The Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) defines 'personal information' as information or an opinion (including information or an opinion forming part of a database), whether true or not, and whether recorded in a material form or not, about an individual whose identity is apparent, or can reasonably be ascertained, from the information or opinion.
Spotlight collects your personal information through a variety of website features. The information we collect may include your name, address, telephone numbers, and email addresses. Spotlight will tell you why it is collecting your personal information, and how that information will be used, at the time the information is collected. Spotlight will only collect your personal information directly from you.
Your personal information will only be used for the purpose for which you provided it. For example, if you have supplied an email address or social media account information so that you can be sent your Spotlight Infographic, this information will only be used for that purpose. Spotlight will not use your personal information for any other purpose unless you have given your consent.
Spotlight will store your personal information in secure computer storage facilities and, where necessary, paper based records. Staff will securely handle and store your personal information in a manner which complies with this Privacy Statement and the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
For more information about the Australian Bureau of Statistic's general privacy statement, please visit www.abs.gov.au.Back to top